It was a Winn-win at RVNA’s 7th Annual Spelling Bee when the final word went to Jonathan Winn, founder and co-artistic director of Ridgefield’s Thrown Stone Theatre Company. After a fun-filled evening of orthographic sparring, intense concentration, best guesses, Lifeline rescues, and audience buy-backs, Winn emerged victorious. So, what was the last word? Dormition, or “death resembling falling asleep.”
From the likes of contemporaneous and gibbon to salinity and burglarious, contestants and their Lifelines went round for round, while audience members leaned over and whispered to each other, “I’ve never even heard that word before.”
Words — misspelled or not — cannot express RVNA’s gratitude to the 13 contestants (see list below) who took to the stage, put their skills to the test, and maintained their senses of humor to make the event a tremendous success. This year’s Bee raised nearly $13,000 — through ticket sales, donations and event sponsorships — to support RVNA’s Nursing Education programs.
“Once again, we owe a debt of gratitude to our contestants and their Lifelines, our moderator, judges, and audience members who gave their support to this important tradition,” said Theresa Santoro, RVNAhealth President and CEO. “Together with our sponsors, they made an invaluable contribution to our Nursing Education program, allowing our clinical staff to continue to offer the best possible care to our community.”
Stay tuned for next year when the 8th Annual RVNAhealth Spelling Bee returns with a new crop of spellers and a whole new set of formidable words.
2018 RVNAhealth Spelling Bee Contestants:
- John Apinis, RN, BSN, RVNA & Lifeline, Leslie Chiaramonte, RVNA
- Chris Augustine, Ridgefield Fire Department & Lifeline, Paris McAdam
- Deirdre Basile, Ph.D., Ridgefield Council of PTAs & Lifeline, Barb Jennes 2018 Runner Up!
- Lyndsay Clark, KickFit CT & Lifeline, Christopher Clark
- John Dunleavy, MD, OrthoConnecticut & Lifeline, Bridget Dunleavy
- Kate Fitzpatrick, Kate Fitzpatrick Consulting & Lifeline, Paul Fitzpatrick
- Carol Gardell, Ridgefield Thrift Shop & Lifeline, Barbara Hillery
- Amy Piantaggini, Ridgefield Conservatory of Dance & Lifeline, Jane Turner
- Steve Scalzo, Ridgefield Little League & Lifeline, Maureen Scalzo
- Matt Stamatis, Ridgefield High School student & Lifeline, Anne Driscoll
- Kate Tinsley, Ridgefield Police Department & Lifeline, Bill Tinsley
- Tim Washer, Comedian and former Saturday Night Live writer & Lifeline, Danielle Foley
- Jonathan Winn, Thrown Stone Theatre Company & Lifeline, Amanda Curtin
Thank You To Our Generous Sponsors!
BMW of Ridgefield
Dr. Blaine Langberg
Cathie Bonner, Professional Skating Instructor
Cramer & Anderson Law Firm
Dr. Dana C. Jones
Fairfield County Bank
Fairfield County Financial Services
Reynolds & Rowella, LLP
Ridgefield Fire Department
The Ridgefield Press
Ross Bread Shoppe & Coffee House
Study Works – Janie Larson
Turner Mechanical, Inc.
We Do Lines
Young’s of Ridgefield