Home Health Care in Georgetown, CT
It is no secret that average life spans are steadily increasing and with that comes new challenges. A major challenge is deciding how to care for our elderly loved ones as they continue to advance in age. Home healthcare is usually the route family members go to deal with this issue, but there is also difficulty in finding the right in-home healthcare agency.
When to Seek A Home Healthcare Aide In Georgetown, Connecticut
In-home health care is required for the following reasons:
- A patient requires continuous care for a chronic health condition
- A patient requires post-operative care
- The patient requires care following an illness or an injury
In either case, the concerned family member with power of attorney will need to start the process of selecting an appropriate healthcare agency.
Selecting An Appropriate Healthcare Agency
The process of settling on a healthcare agency can be challenging but can be made easier with a bit of advice. That’s why we put together this guide which should take you through the process of selecting an in-home healthcare agency. (Though if you require further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us.)
The first step in selecting an in-home healthcare agency is narrowing down the field. What this means is finding out which providers are in your area and then screening them until you find one that fits. It is true that this process is easier said than done, but it is quite doable when you approach it with a plan. You want to screen multiple agencies at the same time. This will make the process go quicker and will also give you a good idea of what these agencies do and do not offer.
During this phase you should also be asking companies for references. You don’t need to always follow up on all of them, but it is a great idea to do so if you’re serious about any of the agencies you contacted. Checking up on references should provide you with important and intimate details about the company, which should allow you to make a confirmed and well-educated decision. In addition to references, you’ll also learn a good amount of information from the questions you end up asking these agencies. We’ve provided a selection of questions below which should help you with that process.
Specific Healthcare Questions
- What specific skills does the agency’s home health providers have to offer?
- Do the caregivers participate in continuing education courses?
- If the patient isn’t happy with their assigned provider, can they ask for a replacement provider?
- What metrics are used to monitor the patient’s care and medical progress?
- Are the patient’s medications reviewed during the course of treatment?
- On what basis is a treatment plan created?
- How often are treatment plans reassessed?
- Are the health care wishes of the patient included and respected?
- Are the home health providers licensed and insured?
- What specific services are provided beyond in-home treatment?
Connecticut Insurance And Billing Questions
Medicare pays for in-home health care for a short period of time. Typically, private insurance fills in any gaps that Medicare won’t cover. Also, private insurance can pay for care that goes past the period of time that Medicare covers.
With this said, it’s important to ensure that one’s insurance plan is accepted. If the provider bills the insurance company directly, this should be noted as well.
Call (203) 438-5555 or use the form below.